Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Survey - What am I, a monochrone or polychron?

          I recently took a survey for class that helped me judge whether or not I could be categorized as a monochron or a polychron when it comes to completing tasks and making business decisions. Not only did I not know what these were before taking the survey, but I had no clue there were separate levels of each.
          The survey began by asking questions that one could rate on a scale whether or not they leaned more towards one answer or the other, or even if they felt neutral by rating it in the middle. Once completed answering the questions, which mainly asked about preferences for decision making, how one likes the business setting, how one works with teams, managing styles, etc..., the answers were added up and a score was given. I found out that I had been given a score of 54, meaning I was in the moderately monochronic rage. To my surprise, it was right on point. I'll insert for you the description:
"These individuals demonstrate an organized approach to projects and are committed to their completion on time. They ultimately prioritize the successful completion of projects, and tend to address tasks in an analytical and information-oriented manner. These individuals tend to prefer an isolated and uninterrupted work environment; social interaction has its appropriate time and place. Their significant communications are usually to the point, logical and written. Though group input is an important element in these individuals’ decision-making process, they ultimately rely on personal judgment to make important final decisions."
In my opinion, this description is accurate because I do encapsulate most of these attributes. I do like to be organized when starting projects so that it can come out effective and making sense. I make sure that it is completed on time, if not sooner. I try to analyze everything that needs to be in order to complete a tasks and make sure all of the information I need is there, Whether it be in a research report or a simple task. The only thing that is debatable in this description is when it comes to interruptions and communication. As a visual learner, I like to have others around me to help explain things if I don't immediately understand it, especially if it's a verbal instruction or assignment. I do have to have it written down, but when giving information or directing people, I do not need to have it written down. Once I look at the tasks and understand it, I can communicate verbally just as effectively. Therefore, I do not mind being interrupted when working because usually talking with others and having explanations helps me understand the tasks better and more efficiently complete them. Going off of this, I do like having group input because others do make good points, but when it comes to being a manager, I believe they need to be able to make final decisions based on what is needed and not necessarily what someone else says could help. It is their job to make sure the right things are being done to complete tasks. Yes, group input can make the decisions easier, but it's not always the best one. They have the experience and knowledge to make the right decisions.
          I am very surprised at how accurate this survey was in pinpointing my business style. I think that it is important for people to understand their styles so that they can more effectively and efficiently learn how to work with others, or themselves, to complete tasks, make decisions, and run successful business practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment